Sunday, December 13, 2009

I did it!

I finally did it! I actually bought and cooked a turkey for the first time in my life. I know . . . an almost 30 year old who's never cooked a turkey. But hey, I've never had a need to, someone else always ends up doing the turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas and I've never made the effort to cook a turkey for just the two of us. But this week as I passed the meat section I decided to drop one in the cart and that way I'd be forced to figure out how to cook it. And it worked! Yum, I forgot how delicious nice and juicy turkey is. But even more delicious is the creamy gravy, ahhh.

Looking forward to turkey sandwiches this week. Given the smallest turkey I could find was 13 pounds, there are a lot of leftovers. Anyone hungry?

3 comments:

bmz said...

remember that time emilee and jaime cooked the turkey freshman year!

Sarah said...

haha! i especially remember when they'd buy those individual packets of lunch meat and almost gag trying to shove them down for protein. ah, memories...

Sijbrich said...

I admit that I've never cooked a turkey. I haven't even cooked a whole chicken before. Something about the weird organs they leave inside and the mess of picking all the meat off the bones afterward that keeps me buying the neat packages of skinless boneless chicken breasts. I'm so impressed that you just cooked a turkey on a whim to just try. Way to go.