Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Single or Multiple Subject? That is the question . . .

I'm really confused. As I've posted previously I am working on making a career change into teaching. I thought I was pretty well convinced on teaching middle school math. But now I'm not sure, I'm still considering grade school (upper grades preferably).

Yesterday I helped a neighbor-friend set up her 4th grade classroom to get a better idea of the whole teaching thing. She teaches 4th grade at a Catholic private school in Oakland. She's going to have 36 students this year! (That was actually the first time I'd driven through downtown Oakland alone, a little scary but not as bad as I was expecting). Anyway, her classroom was so cool! Just walking in got me really excited. All the books, the posters, the calendars, the desk organizers . . . even the class bunny. It just looked like a lot of fun. I know, I know, teaching is not all fun. Believe me, I know that virtually NO profession is ALL fun. But it was neat for me to feel some kind of connection or excitement with the teaching career since I have yet to find even the idea of another profession that makes me feel that way.

Although it was really neat to see her classroom, I left even more confused than before. Perhaps I'd rather teach multiple subjects instead of just math? Would math get boring after a while? Would I rather focus on one set of 30 or so students all day and get to know them better or focus on 150 students each semester for just one hour each day? I'm not sure. I feel like I need more time in the classroom to figure this out. I can't change my mind halfway through the certification program. In California you have to pass the specific certification exams prior to applying to the separate certification programs. Meanwhile I'm finding it very difficult to focus on studying my math textbooks when I'm still unsure about what I want to teach . . .

Comments welcome, especially from you teachers out there or fellow career-changers!

5 comments:

Me said...

Have you taken the CBEST so that you can try subbing? (I think it allows you to sub both elementary & secondary.)

In defense of the single-subject credential.... For me it comes down to the age group - I'd really rather work with the older kids. Also, the thought of having to brush up on a bunch of different subjects for the multiple-subject CSET makes me cringe. I don't really want to teach anything besides math (except maybe music) so....

With a single subject credential, you can always add on another subject by passing the CSET for that subject, if you're worried about getting tired of math eventually. The nice thing about teaching in general is that the kids really keep you on your toes, in my experience (so far). Every new group of kids comes with new questions and forces you to explain things in different ways.

The younger ones still mostly like being at school, though, and I guess you can organize your day how ever you like. I imagine there's a bit more freedom and a bit more fun stuff to do. Not that you can't have fun with the older kids, too, but...elementary school classrooms seem like such cheerful places. :-)

Excuse my rambling - there are a LOT of teachers in my hubby's family, so it's a heavily discussed subject around here! Good luck!

~Sarah Hamor

Sarah said...

Thanks for your comments Sarah! I took the CBEST last month and just submitted everything for my substitute permit this week. The problem is the school districts around here are on hiring freezes for subs. So I'll have to expand out a little farther to find a district that is hiring. I also plan to volunteer in the classrooms (both elementary and middle) to see real teachers in action, hopefully that will help!

I'm terrified of the Math CSET. It's going to take a LOT more studying to pass those exams. (I'm assuming you took them, how were they??) My problem is anything past algebra/geometry. I don't really want to teach past those subjects at this point but the CSET's cover much deeper material than just your basic algebra and geometry, blech.

But you're right, the Multiple Subject CSET's would be a lot of work too, just lots of different things to study.

Hmmm . . .

Me said...

Uggh, the hiring freezes are terrible. I think what some districts are doing is giving sub preference to teachers who were laid off. I'm sure things will turn around eventually, but....

Thankfully, I didn't have to take the CSET, because my math degree was subject matter compliant - sorry! I know a few people who took the CSET and were convinced that they did terribly and ended up passing. I hear it's rough, though. Are you working out of a test prep book? You might even want to take a couple of college level math classes if that's an option, or just a test prep class. I've heard it covers some abstract algebra, linear algebra & number theory concepts. I don't know much about the multiple subject test - I imagine it's a bit easier but obviously much broader. Either way, you're in for a world of studying!

Also, I think some math teachers are credentialed to teach up through Algebra 2/Trig only, with only the first two subtests - most districts probably don't need many Pre-Calc and Calculus teachers, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm not trying to persuade you either way, but here are a few things I have learned.

Because I teach special ed, I really only basically teach math and reading. The down-side is that it does get a little boring sometimes. Especially because I teach elem, so it's BEGINNING and BASIC stuff. But you can incorporate all of the subjects into math and reading, if you think about it. You can make it fun. The great thing about narrowing in on those subjects is that I don't have to spend hours on lesson planning for the many different subjects. Each subject and each lesson you teach requires planning.

Honestly, the school day may seem long, but it isn't. After you add the kids rotations (art, music, etc) you don't have much time to do the "fun stuff". So most of your time will be dedicated to math and reading.

Some grade level teams will split responsibilities. One will teach 3 periods of math. The other will teach 3 periods of language arts. The other will teach the social studies/sciences. And you rotate through all the kids during the week. That is rare to find a team that will do that. But I have seen it done.

The great thing about certifying to teach K-6 is that you have a very wide range of possibilities. Teaching Kindergarten and teaching 6th grade is very VERY different. So if you get bored, you can move around (if there are openings).

If you decide to do single-subject, and you do that for a few years, then get bored or whatever... then there are usually incentives for teachers to go on an get more certificates, licensing, etc. Many districts offer these classes or will pay for you to take them elsewhere.

I believe each school district has a math curriculum adviser. They have a pretty sweet desk job that allows them to develop curriculum, oversee the teachers' lesson planning and training in math.

LOTS OF OPTIONS, huh?

-Becca

grandma said...

Here's my two cents ... The advantage to single subject math is more hiring possibilities. Linda R.