Saturday, October 25, 2008

What I want to be when I grow up - by Sarah Curtis

So, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. I realize I'm a very logical person and I really think things through thoroughly before jumping into anything. Hence the reason I've not made a decision on this yet. Probably not many of you will find this interesting, it's not like I have a ton of readers on here (although a lot more readers than comment posters!). If anyone has any comments, please post them! I'm looking for insight, ANY and ALL is appreciated!

I'm not sure what I currently do for a living (accounting) is right for me. And when I say "right" I mean I don't think it's what will keep me happy the rest of my career. To really move ahead in the accounting world I need a masters. But I have absolutely zero desire to go back to school in accounting. That's a problem.

This has started me thinking about a career change. And now that Steve will be done with school and working fulltime next year I will have the chance to explore a career change if that's indeed what I decide I want.

There are a lot of things I enjoy doing. But do I enjoy them enough to consider it as a career? I'm not so sure. I like lots of things A LITTLE, but not many things A LOT. This was my trouble in college, trying to figure out what to major in. Actually, let's go back to when I was a kid. I always wanted to be one of those high powered career women like Michelle Pfeiffer in One Fine Day. How cool to have great ideas and have people look to you for your great decision making and how fun to wear great suits and heels. Or how about Helen Hunt in the Mad About You series (love her!). Or Miranda or Samantha in Sex and the City.

In high school I also thought it would be neat to be a nurse. So I job shadowed a nurse in the renal unit at John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek for a few weeks. I really enjoyed it but didn't think I could handle the needles and blood. I've also found that although I may not seem like it, I am actually a very empathetic person. I really try to understand where others are coming from and care how they feel. Sometimes a little too much. I feel too much of their pain or anguish and it ends up bringing me down and I struggle to come to grips with how unfair life can be. Why do I have it so good when so many are suffering?

When I applied for college I stated my intended major as Geology (natural disasters facinated me, especially after experiencing the 1989 San Andreas fault earthquake at 9 years old). But it required too many math classes and anything past pre-calc I am no good at (Accounting is NOT math). I settled on a Business Finance major. I didn't enjoy Finance at all, but I figured it was a marketable degree I could use as a background for many careers.

In college (BYU), when a lot of the other girls talked about their major not mattering because they planned to get married and stay home with kids, I was thinking about marriage and kids too, but still wanted that career, always did. Then when I actually got married a year before graduating from college, I think I copped out. I wasn't enjoying Finance, but I decided it was easier to stick with it and figure things out later.

After a few months of marriage I decided maybe I wanted kids sooner rather than later (ah the peer pressure!). So I took some placeholder jobs thinking it would only be until we had kids and once they were grown I could figure out my career at that point. That meant I wouldn't have to think about it for a long time, and by then, surely I'd know what I wanted to be when I grew up, because I'd be grown up!

When it became clear it would be a while before kids may or may not come into the picture, I decided it was time to focus on me and what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. This lead to me finally choosing a position because i thought it would take me somewhere. And it did, I really very much enjoyed my work at that office. What I enjoyed most was working for a small not for profit that actually RAN as a NOT FOR PROFIT. I enjoyed having a lot of responsibility and freedom to do things my own way. And it felt good knowing we were making a difference.

Back in DC I also volunteered for the county helping people with their personal finances. We would sit with them and go over their situations and help them make budgets and follow through with them. I loved helping others with something I have a love for myself, personal finance. I've considered becoming a Financial Planner, but there's so much sales involved and we move around too much for me to form a customer base with every move. So I think that passion will have to continue to be fulfilled through volunteer work.

Lately i've been thinking about several career paths:

Teaching (secondary or junior college) - not the most glamorous or high paying but I do enjoy teaching subjects that I love (accounting, personal finance, life skills)

Psychology (especially cognitive) - not sure what actual career this would turn into but the way people think and work through things absolutely fascinates me! We're all so crazy!

Career Counselor - those who don't do, teach, right?! I enjoy helping others figure out what they want to do with their lives, and I have really enjoyed the interviewing and hiring process I've been a part of at past jobs. But Human Resources is not my thing, believe me, I have found this out working for an HR association right now, it's not my thing.

Occupational Therapist - this is a new career I'd never really heard of before the last few months. They "work with people with disabilities to enable them to maximize their skills and abilities. Occupational therapy gives people the "skills for the job of living" necessary for "living life to its fullest." I'm hoping to job shadow a therapist soon to see if it's something worth considering.

Nutritionist/Dietician - sounds interesting, haven't done much research on the job market yet, but I enjoy all things diet/health/exercise related.

This feels more like a journal entry than anything (not that I keep a journal!) but perhaps getting insight from friends and family will give Steve some peace for a little while. I admit, I talk to him about it way too much, the poor guy is so patient!

Perhaps all of this is just my way of looking around and then I'll end up justifying what I do for a living currently is what I enjoy and it's the particulars of the organization and position that are not a good fit right now. Either way, I need to do this for me!

So friends and family, HELP! Comments or emails are appreciated . . .

13 comments:

Em said...

my 2 cents are that you'd be great as an occupational therapist. my mom had a stroke (remember, it was when we were roommates?) and the occupational therapists helped her so much. they do so much for people and are so inspirational. it's a rewarding career and you're good with people.

Michele said...

Since you shadowed that nurse, and liked it (but not the needles and blood) and expressed a desire to start a family (but aren't or can't at the moment) have you thought about being a nurse in the newborn nursery? Less needles and such, and it would give you access to cute new little babies to enjoy. Just a thought.
I also think an occipational therapist is a great idea. They do a great service and really make a difference in the world. Plus I would think that it would never get boring, because what you did would differ from day to day and patient to patient. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Vanessa said...

Hi SA. Well, as you know, jared went back to school to become a teacher. He really loves it and is glad that he did it. I am glad for him, too. He felt (it seems like you do too) that he wanted to do something that would make a difference. I think you would be a great teacher. And I can definitely see you as a nurse or occupational therapist. And if you became a career counselor, you could go back to good old career placement. I have a hard time seeing you doing this because i picture you there....but when i try not to picture you at CPS, I can definitely see you doing this, too. You are easy to talk to and helpful and are able to read people pretty well. Those qualities that you have would make you great at that job. (or any of those jobs you listed). However, I think psychology would be a lot more school to get to being an actual psychologist, which I'm not sure would be so much fun (the school part!) I was a psychology major at BYU and then switched it to a minor b/c i just really didn't want to have to go to so much school!
that's what i think.

Sarah said...

emilee, how is your mom doing now that it's been a few years since the stroke? has she had any more since then? that's great her occupational therapists were able to help her so much, i'm really excited to job shadow soon.

missy. said...

sarah, you would be good at anything! i really mean that. it's true that psychology might be tricky at this point; i have a bachelors in psychology and it doesn't qualify me to do much. (hence the reason i've changed directions with respect to my career.) to work as a psychologist, you need a doctoral degree. keep us updated, though, on your process. you'll be good at whatever you choose...

Bethany C. said...

Ok. I've read every word very carefully, and taken into consideration that I've known you your whole life. :) This is my opinion as your sister:

Occupational therapy. Why? Several reasons. The job would never be boring, with each case being unique. You would be helping people, which you like, but it would not be to dramatic and overwhelming that you would go home feeling like a human sponge to sadness. You would probably study some psychology in the process. OT takes an approach that helps many parts of a person's life. You are a very good problem solver. I can see you finding very good solutions to people's issues. If they need to re-work their work space to fit their physical needs, you'd make it work. If they need to re-think their career type, you'd know just how to counsel them. If they need to find cost-effective ways to make their life situation work, you'd be savy at directing them. Being an OT and a teacher are similar, only you are working one on one instead of a large group, which I don't think you'd enjoy as much.

OT is a field where you get to make a difference and actually see the results pretty quickly. That's great! (Psychology is field where you may or may not see progress. Frustrating!) It would be satisfying knowing your work really was making a difference, and it is probably a difference you can measure to some degree. OT probably involves the study of some biology, anatomy, and other scientific topics that you found interesting in nursing, but without the blood and without having to specialize in any one study. You'd take a general knowledge of several studies and piece together a therapy plan for an individual.

I know OT involves a bit of school, but it seems to me that it would hit many of the things you seem to enjoy.

Last of all, I would really trust you as on OT. You are a smart cookie and would take your learning very seriously. I think you would also enjoy further reading and study in the field that might help you do what you do better. You would be compassionate, but still be bold and blunt in telling people hard things they really need to hear about the realities of their situation. You are a very good problem solver, and you like to keep things simple. That's what I'd want in if I needed OT!

Last, I hear OT has a very wide range of positions available. You can work part-time, full-time, work for a clinic, a school district, do home visits...I had a friend in Vegas that was a former Elementary teacher (with a masters in children's lit)that wanted to get her masters in OT. She felt there was a lot of flexibility in how she could use her degree, and she could still use her degree when she was old and wanted to work less. Want me to ask her? I'd trust her opinion.

So as you can see, my vote is for OT. My question for you is, what wouldn't you like about it? What are the downsides? What is the education/training like? Would it support you comfortably?

I say take a day off work and job shadow asap. You'll never know until you do that! You may find the first day that it isn't what you thought at all. So when you do job shadow, please post what you thought! I'm very curious.

This is what I read on a site defining OTs:
'They work with individuals who suffer from a mentally, physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabling condition. Occupational therapists use treatments to develop, recover, or maintain the daily living and work skills of their patients. The therapist helps clients not only to improve their basic motor functions and reasoning abilities, but also to compensate for permanent loss of function. The goal is to help clients have independent, productive, and satisfying lives.'

Aside from the finance interest you have, I think OT fits every one of your interests.

Now do I win the award for the best and longest blog entry ever? :) Now that I've practically convinced myself that I want to study OT. ha ha.

Sarah said...

thanks for the comments everyone! it's really helpful to hear feedback from those who know me. i'll be sure to keep the blog updated with whatever i do or don't decide to do. i'm going to call this week about job shadowing an OT. beth you're right, perhaps i'll job shadow for one day and totally not like it! i just need to take some time away from work and DO IT!

i'm seeing now why it's so difficult to make career changes and people just settle and become set in their careers whether or not it's satisfying for them.

Anonymous said...

cc: myfamily.com :-)

Hmmmmm ... I just read your blog and all the comments ..... Here are my thoughts. Will probably have more later after I think for a while :-) Are any of these statements accurate about you?

You like making a difference and helping people.
You prefer helping or teaching individuals or small groups that are already actively interested in being helped, or that need help in a specific area.
You like to teach people smart things, and encourage them to live to their fullest potential.
You like the preventative / planning aspect of teaching and helping people make decisions about what to do with their lives/money.
You want a career that's interesting and challenging without being depressing.
You want a career that people are hiring for and that won't get cut in a recession.
You want a career that requires no more than 2 years of school.
You are interested in the medical field
You are interested in health and fitness / wellness
You are interested in certain areas of social work (=psychology without the doctorate requirement)
You would like a job where you can dress smart for work! :-)
You are interested in helping people manage money without the sales aspect.
You are interested in the financial and psychological well being of women trying to make decisions or changes in their lives.

Here are a couple of jobs that come to mind ....

In the medical field: Can you imagine yourself wearing scrubs and working in a hospital, rehab or nursing facility?

A person who trains people with diabetes, kidney or heart problems to manage their disease through diet, exercise, etc. to improve their life quality

A speech pathologist - requires a masters and is in huge demand because of all the strokes people have now days. Helps people (young children in schools, older people in rehab and hospitals) learn how to speak, re-learn how to swallow, etc. and to improve their quality of life. Always seeing new patients. Pays pretty well. (Scott's sister does this and loves it)

A person that helps you re-gain strength and mobility in your muscles, etc. after major accidents or surgery.

A person who teaches wellness, fitness and nutrition to fat, out of shape people who are dedicated to becoming healthy again and encourages them to succeed (there are lots of fat people out there! you'd be a perfect YMCA-Fit Coach for me! :-)

A specialized nurse :-) I've actually considered doing this. They are in such demand and it pays pretty well. But I think you have to get an advanced degree or else you change bedpans and diapers and bathe people all day.

In the social work or non-profit field:

An MSW who works in conjunction with a battered women's shelter or teens that are pregnant or rape victims, drug addicts, or similar situations to help them re-build their lives, confidence, job skills and career direction

Or counseling senior citizens or divorced or widowed on fixed incomes how to use their money wisely or make the transition smoothly

A career counselor in a college

****
The occupational therapist ideas all sound really great, too. I would probably steer away from the developmentally disabled ... from experience supervising life skills coaches at CDP (Career Development Program) in CA - sometimes you're teaching people to not pick their nose or masturbate in public, and to maintain friendships and figure out how to survive on disability benefits ($600 per month in 1995) or teach them not to bang their heads against the wall. Sorry, I still have vivid memories from that job!

D and C said...

Sarah,
Thank you SO much for your awesome email to me. You are so sweet to care enough to email me without even knowing me. You really are great and your comments meant a lot. You and Steve are awesome. Give him a big hug for me.

Thanks again,
Deanna

Em said...

my mom's doing great. all the therapy helped her recover nearly 100%. she can't feel fine textures w her fingertips on her left hand, but that's it! it was a miracle.

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah, you would be so good at ANYTHING!! I hope you got to shadow and figure it out!

Princess and A BYU Fan said...

I think you are great at what you do, but you have to love it too. We all spend too much time at work to be unhappy. Haha, I'm sure that advice didn't help at all but just wanted to make sure you knew I was keeping up with your blogs. :)

Kristen said...

Not that you don't have enough comments on this post already BUT, if you do the career counseling thing, you can also teach at community colleges and stuff. I did my master's in counseling and student services and then taught for a year at Fresno City and seriously loved it! You're so smart, you'll do great at whatever you decide!!